Best Movie About The Future
The Blue Perkie
2007-07-16 11:24:29 UTC
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.

LOL stupid film makers.
DeadWalrus
Death Race 2000
Matt Clara
2007-07-16 22:57:48 UTC
Post by DeadWalrus
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Death Race 2000
Wasn't that Mick Jagger's one and only film appearance? Man, that was
really bad.

www.mattclara.com
Bill Becker
2007-07-16 23:11:10 UTC
Post by Matt Clara
Post by DeadWalrus
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Death Race 2000
Wasn't that Mick Jagger's one and only film appearance? Man, that was
really bad.
I thought he played Ned Kelly in....Ned Kelly.

Michael
2007-07-16 23:23:16 UTC
Post by Bill Becker
Post by Matt Clara
Post by DeadWalrus
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Death Race 2000
Wasn't that Mick Jagger's one and only film appearance? Man, that was
really bad.
I thought he played Ned Kelly in....Ned Kelly.
He was in Freejack, which predicted people in the future swiping people
from the past just before the moment of their deaths to take over their
bodies.

Michael
Derek Janssen
2007-07-16 23:18:02 UTC
Post by Matt Clara
Post by DeadWalrus
Death Race 2000
(Stop and think:
The next time you dodge a pedestrian while driving and joke "50
points"...just where DID the expression come from, anyway?)
Post by Matt Clara
Wasn't that Mick Jagger's one and only film appearance? Man, that was
really bad.
Er...noooo..... 0_o?
You're probably thinking of "Performance".

(Or "Bent."
Or "Ned Kelly".
Or "Faerie Tale Theater".
Or "Man From Elysian Fields".
Or that crappy Emilio Estevez thing that Roger Corman didn't produce.)

Derek Janssen (ow!...Can I stop smart-slapping him now, my hands are
starting to hurt?)
***@comcast.net
Matt Clara
2007-07-17 01:00:13 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by Matt Clara
Death Race 2000
Post by Matt Clara
Wasn't that Mick Jagger's one and only film appearance? Man, that was
really bad.
Er...noooo..... 0_o?
You're probably thinking of "Performance".
(Or "Bent."
Or "Ned Kelly".
Or "Faerie Tale Theater".
Or "Man From Elysian Fields".
Or that crappy Emilio Estevez thing that Roger Corman didn't produce.)
Derek Janssen (ow!...Can I stop smart-slapping him now, my hands are
starting to hurt?)
Nope it was "Freejack"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104299/

www.mattclara.com
Wull
2007-07-17 01:12:36 UTC
I seem to recall that my favorite futuristic movie was a TV movie called
"Murder and the Android", it starred Rip Torn and Kevin McCarthy if I
remember correctly. IT was a long time ago.

Wull
Post by Matt Clara
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by Matt Clara
Death Race 2000
www.mattclara.com
David E. Powell
I thought Mick was in Freejack....
Matt Frisch
2007-07-17 08:17:13 UTC
Post by Matt Clara
Post by DeadWalrus
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Death Race 2000
Wasn't that Mick Jagger's one and only film appearance? Man, that was
really bad.
If he was in it (I have no idea) it certainly wasn't his only. He was in
"Freejack"...not exactly the finest movie ever made.
Unique
2007-07-18 20:36:13 UTC
Post by Matt Clara
Wasn't that Mick Jagger's one and only film appearance? Man, that was
really bad.
He played a transvestite club owner in wartime Berlin in "Bent"
--
DVDs for sale: http://unique-dvd.com
165 Banned Cartoons, The Unknown War, Centennial Miniseries,
and more...
Clell Harmon
Stalone at his best.
Grendel
2007-07-16 14:11:13 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Most Optomistic Movie About the Future: "Bicentinial Man"

Most Pessimistic Movie About the Future: "Silent Running"

Most Probably Realistic Movie About the Future: "Bladerunner"

Best Movie Series About the Future: "Mad Max, Road Warrior, Mad Max:
Beyond Thunderdome"

Best Cult Movie About the Future: "Deathrace 2000"

Best 'The Way I'd Really Like It To Be" Movie About the Future: "The
Fifth Element"

Yol Bolsun,
Grendel.

"Klaatu, Barada, Nickto"
rwa2play (Lost mode on)
2007-07-16 15:48:22 UTC
Post by Grendel
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Most Optomistic Movie About the Future: "Bicentinial Man"
Most Pessimistic Movie About the Future: "Silent Running"
Most Probably Realistic Movie About the Future: "Bladerunner"
Beyond Thunderdome"
Best Cult Movie About the Future: "Deathrace 2000"
Best 'The Way I'd Really Like It To Be" Movie About the Future: "The
Fifth Element"
Yol Bolsun,
Grendel.
"Klaatu, Barada, Nickto"
Most Probably Realistic Series about the Future: Ghost in The Shell:
Stand Alone Complex.
Emelia Dearborn
2007-07-16 18:14:48 UTC
Post by rwa2play (Lost mode on)
Stand Alone Complex.
Most Probably Realistic Movie about the Future: Idiocracy
Howard Brazee
2007-07-16 23:13:37 UTC
How about something like _A Christmas Carol_?
Lincoln Spector
2007-07-16 21:14:03 UTC
Post by Grendel
Best 'The Way I'd Really Like It To Be" Movie About the Future: "The
Fifth Element"
What I liked about The Fifth Element, despite the stupid story, was that it
presented the future as neither a utopia nor a dystopia. It was simply our
world with cooler technology.

Lincoln
~consul
2007-07-16 23:28:43 UTC
and thus Lincoln Spector inscribed ...
Post by Lincoln Spector
Post by Grendel
Best 'The Way I'd Really Like It To Be" Movie About the Future: "The
Fifth Element"
What I liked about The Fifth Element, despite the stupid story, was that it
presented the future as neither a utopia nor a dystopia. It was simply our
world with cooler technology.
Too many colours. :(
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
Grendel
2007-07-16 23:37:17 UTC
Post by Lincoln Spector
Post by Grendel
Best 'The Way I'd Really Like It To Be" Movie About the Future: "The
Fifth Element"
What I liked about The Fifth Element, despite the stupid story, was that it
presented the future as neither a utopia nor a dystopia. It was simply our
world with cooler technology.
Too many colours. :(
I don't think so. It just goes to prove that, even in the future,
human beings can be tacky. After all, all goudy costumes in "The
Fifth Element" put together are not anywhere near as tacky as Dayglo
Skirts, Swatches and Parachute Pants from the 80's.

Yol Bolsun,
Grendel.

"Klaatu, Barada, Nicto"
OneOhEight
2007-07-17 00:11:33 UTC
Demolition Man?
David E. Powell
2007-07-19 20:22:08 UTC
Post by OneOhEight
Demolition Man?
That one was darn good.
Martin Koolhoven
2007-07-17 00:42:56 UTC
Post by Lincoln Spector
Post by Grendel
Best 'The Way I'd Really Like It To Be" Movie About the Future: "The
Fifth Element"
What I liked about The Fifth Element, despite the stupid story, was that it
presented the future as neither a utopia nor a dystopia. It was simply our
world with cooler technology.
....which was the basic idea for Back to the Future part 2.....

MK
Martin Koolhoven
2007-07-17 00:47:54 UTC
Post by Grendel
Most Probably Realistic Movie About the Future: "Bladerunner"
Not only was it a great movie, but I think "Gattaca" is a far more
realistic prediction of our future than a movie about highly
intelligent humanoid robots and flying cars.
Neah. It just played highly on the irrational fear of genetic
knowledge.
Best post-apocalyptic: The Postman (I know many will disagree with me,
but I found this movie very patriotic and inspiring)
Funny, only an American could say something was patriotic and mean
that as a complement.

--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven
look at this: http://tinyurl.com/2sryc6
Audie Murphy's Ghost
Yeah, except for the Brits and the French and just about everybody else.
Matt Clara
2007-07-17 03:15:43 UTC
Post by Audie Murphy's Ghost
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by Grendel
Most Probably Realistic Movie About the Future: "Bladerunner"
Not only was it a great movie, but I think "Gattaca" is a far more
realistic prediction of our future than a movie about highly
intelligent humanoid robots and flying cars.
Neah. It just played highly on the irrational fear of genetic
knowledge.
Best post-apocalyptic: The Postman (I know many will disagree with me,
but I found this movie very patriotic and inspiring)
Funny, only an American could say something was patriotic and mean
that as a complement.
Yeah, except for the Brits and the French and just about everybody else.
What's with all the generalizations against Americans these days? Has GW
Bush made the rest of the world stupid, too?
;-)

www.mattclara.com
Matt Frisch
2007-07-17 08:16:33 UTC
Post by Matt Clara
Post by Audie Murphy's Ghost
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by Grendel
Most Probably Realistic Movie About the Future: "Bladerunner"
Not only was it a great movie, but I think "Gattaca" is a far more
realistic prediction of our future than a movie about highly
intelligent humanoid robots and flying cars.
Neah. It just played highly on the irrational fear of genetic
knowledge.
Best post-apocalyptic: The Postman (I know many will disagree with me,
but I found this movie very patriotic and inspiring)
Funny, only an American could say something was patriotic and mean
that as a complement.
Yeah, except for the Brits and the French and just about everybody else.
What's with all the generalizations against Americans these days? Has GW
Bush made the rest of the world stupid, too?
;-)
There's no shortage of people who bash other countries for supposed flaws
that their own country contains no shortage of. Martin is just being a
cliched hypocrite.
Martin Koolhoven
2007-07-17 16:30:43 UTC
Post by Matt Frisch
Post by Matt Clara
Post by Audie Murphy's Ghost
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Funny, only an American could say something was patriotic and mean
that as a complement.
Yeah, except for the Brits and the French and just about everybody else.
What's with all the generalizations against Americans these days? Has GW
Bush made the rest of the world stupid, too?
;-)
There's no shortage of people who bash other countries for supposed flaws
that their own country contains no shortage of. Martin is just being a
cliched hypocrite.
C'mon. Where was I bashing or hypocritical? This whole patriot thing
is very American and seems a bit alien to me. I think it is comical
when somebody talks about The Postman (or any film) and saying it's
good, because it is patriotic. No, even better, saying it is patriotic
and just completely take it for granted that evrybody thinks that that
is a good thing.

And yeah, us Dutch have been real bastards as well.

--
gr,
Martin Koolhoven (who actually liked The Postman)
look at this: http://tinyurl.com/2sryc6
Clell Harmon
2007-07-17 21:26:02 UTC
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by Matt Frisch
Post by Matt Clara
Post by Audie Murphy's Ghost
Post by Martin Koolhoven
[...]
As it was pointed out in that philosophical epic "GoldMember" Everyone
hates the Dutch...
Dave in Toronto
2007-07-18 20:08:46 UTC
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by Matt Frisch
Post by Matt Clara
Post by Audie Murphy's Ghost
Post by Martin Koolhoven
[...]
According to this :- http://www.drkenhunt.com/cheese.html - the word
"Yankee" (It was not meant as a compliment) came from the Dutch.

Dave in Toronto
Juan F. Lara
2007-07-18 21:56:03 UTC
Post by Martin Koolhoven
C'mon. Where was I bashing or hypocritical?
ONLY Americans would use "patriotic" as a compliment?
Post by Martin Koolhoven
This whole patriot thing is very American and seems a bit alien to me.
Then broaden your mind.
Post by Martin Koolhoven
good, because it is patriotic. No, even better, saying it is patriotic
and just completely take it for granted that evrybody thinks that that
is a good thing.
There are gradations for patriotism. It can be good within reason and
moderation and bad in excess, just like most other things. You seem to be
insisting on narrowing the definition to only the negative.
Post by Martin Koolhoven
And yeah, us Dutch have been real bastards as well.
You Pim Udenhots (?) and Theo VanGoghs love to bash those immigrants for
not living like good Dutch people...

- Juan F. Lara
Howard Brazee
2007-07-19 01:22:35 UTC
Post by Juan F. Lara
ONLY Americans would use "patriotic" as a compliment?
Not believable.

Other "isms" such as that other guy's religion, or economic system get
the same responses.
David E. Powell
2007-07-19 20:28:42 UTC
Post by Martin Koolhoven
And yeah, us Dutch have been real bastards as well.
You Pim Udenhots (?) and Theo VanGoghs love to bash those immigrants for
not living like good Dutch people...
Well, better to have artistic freedom than murder of political
speakers. Theo Van Gogh was murdered by someone far less tolerant of
differing views than any Dutchman you mentioned there.
- Juan F. Lara
Juan F. Lara
2007-07-19 20:32:47 UTC
Post by Juan F. Lara
You Pim Udenhots (?) and Theo VanGoghs love to bash those immigrants for
not living like good Dutch people...
I apologize. His name is Pim Fortuyn; I couldn't correctly remember his
surname.

- Juan F. Lara
m***@gmail.com
2007-07-19 00:34:55 UTC
Post by Juan F. Lara
Post by Martin Koolhoven
C'mon. Where was I bashing or hypocritical?
ONLY Americans would use "patriotic" as a compliment?
I've never heard it anywhere else. Anyway, it would be hypocritical if
I would use it that way.
Post by Juan F. Lara
Post by Martin Koolhoven
good, because it is patriotic. No, even better, saying it is patriotic
and just completely take it for granted that evrybody thinks that that
is a good thing.
There are gradations for patriotism. It can be good within reason and
moderation and bad in excess, just like most other things. You seem to be
insisting on narrowing the definition to only the negative.
In this context: I think saying a film is good and the arguement being
it's patriotic is a bit over the top.
Post by Juan F. Lara
Post by Martin Koolhoven
And yeah, us Dutch have been real bastards as well.
You Pim Udenhots (?)
Guess you mean Fortuyn.

Post by Juan F. Lara
not living like good Dutch people...
Well, you can say a lot of nasty things about Theo, but not that he
was a patriot.

gr,
Martin Koolhoven (knew him personally)
look at this: http://tinyurl.com/2sryc6
David E. Powell
2007-07-19 20:25:28 UTC
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by Matt Frisch
Post by Matt Clara
Post by Audie Murphy's Ghost
Post by Martin Koolhoven
[...]
You have also done good things, just take pride in them and build on
them for the future brah.
RogerM
2007-07-17 14:11:26 UTC
Post by Matt Clara
Post by Audie Murphy's Ghost
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by Grendel
Most Probably Realistic Movie About the Future: "Bladerunner"
Not only was it a great movie, but I think "Gattaca" is a far more
realistic prediction of our future than a movie about highly
intelligent humanoid robots and flying cars.
Neah. It just played highly on the irrational fear of genetic
knowledge.
Best post-apocalyptic: The Postman (I know many will disagree with me,
but I found this movie very patriotic and inspiring)
Funny, only an American could say something was patriotic and mean
that as a complement.
Yeah, except for the Brits and the French and just about everybody else.
What's with all the generalizations against Americans these days? Has GW
Bush made the rest of the world stupid, too?
;-)
Not stupid enough to elect him - twice.
Best Online comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
Matt Clara
2007-07-18 02:07:48 UTC
Post by RogerM
Post by Matt Clara
Post by Audie Murphy's Ghost
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by Grendel
Most Probably Realistic Movie About the Future: "Bladerunner"
Not only was it a great movie, but I think "Gattaca" is a far more
realistic prediction of our future than a movie about highly
intelligent humanoid robots and flying cars.
Neah. It just played highly on the irrational fear of genetic
knowledge.
Best post-apocalyptic: The Postman (I know many will disagree with me,
but I found this movie very patriotic and inspiring)
Funny, only an American could say something was patriotic and mean
that as a complement.
Yeah, except for the Brits and the French and just about everybody else.
What's with all the generalizations against Americans these days? Has GW
Bush made the rest of the world stupid, too?
;-)
Not stupid enough to elect him - twice.
Again, a generalization. Most of us voted against him the first time, and
only a little more than half of voters voted for him the second time. Plus,
if we're still talking about "an American" you're attributing the qualities
of some of the people to all of the people. Finally, Canadians have had
their share of bad leaders, too, they simply have never had any power to
sway the world outside of Canada. That's more as it should be, I think.
Too much power is not a good thing.

www.mattclara.com
Calvin
2007-07-18 18:42:35 UTC
I voted for him twice, and was mighty proud to do it.
RogerM
2007-07-18 21:46:30 UTC
Post by Calvin
Post by RogerM
Not stupid enough to elect him - twice.
I voted for him twice, and was mighty proud to do it.
That's the last word from you then, Calvin.
Best Online comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
Clell Harmon
2007-07-19 00:02:13 UTC
Post by RogerM
Post by Calvin
Post by RogerM
Not stupid enough to elect him - twice.
I voted for him twice, and was mighty proud to do it.
That's the last word from you then, Calvin.
Be nice. GW has his good points. Look at what he's done for Dan
Quayle's rep
Calvin
2007-07-19 15:10:21 UTC
Not at all. I hope to vote for Giuliani in 2008.
Clell Harmon
2007-07-20 01:19:21 UTC
Post by Calvin
Post by RogerM
Post by Calvin
Post by RogerM
Not stupid enough to elect him - twice.
I voted for him twice, and was mighty proud to do it.
That's the last word from you then, Calvin.
Not at all. I hope to vote for Giuliani in 2008.
Will he move out of the White House when he's caught cheating on his
latest wife?
Juan F. Lara
2007-07-20 01:21:21 UTC
Post by Calvin
Not at all. I hope to vote for Giuliani in 2008.
You're going to vote for a pro-choice candidate, instead of a Brownback
or a Hunter?

- Juan F. Lara
trotsky
2007-07-19 01:05:17 UTC
Post by Calvin
Post by RogerM
Not stupid enough to elect him - twice.
I voted for him twice, and was mighty proud to do it.
Calvin, do you wear one of those "I'm with stupid" t-shirts that has the
arrow pointing up?
Undecided
2007-07-19 02:11:44 UTC
Post by trotsky
Calvin, do you wear one of those "I'm with stupid" t-shirts that has the
arrow pointing up?
I have a snapshot I found of Calvin right here. It was taken during a
counter-demonstration in support of the regime.

Doubting Timus
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
http://tremonius.blogspot.com/
trotsky
2007-07-19 12:16:35 UTC
http://www.ntxe-news.com/artman/uploads/1111morans.jpg
Thanks--that adds nicely to the Calvin legacy.
Juan F. Lara
2007-07-18 21:58:00 UTC
Post by RogerM
Not stupid enough to elect him - twice.
You deserve Stephen Harper.

- Juan F. Lara
RogerM
2007-07-18 23:45:05 UTC
Post by Juan F. Lara
Post by RogerM
Not stupid enough to elect him - twice.
You deserve Stephen Harper.
Not me personally, but you have a point. We're not above electing an
idiot, either. He's still far less dangerous than Bush, of course.
Best Online comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
David E. Powell
2007-07-19 20:24:21 UTC
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by Grendel
Most Probably Realistic Movie About the Future: "Bladerunner"
Not only was it a great movie, but I think "Gattaca" is a far more
realistic prediction of our future than a movie about highly
intelligent humanoid robots and flying cars.
Neah. It just played highly on the irrational fear of genetic
knowledge.
Well, look at today - The idea of people with the resources and the
coldness to do it grabbing genetic "edges" like they would grab better
gear, performance enhancing stuff (Think the Nations that did steroid
programs for their athletes in the 70s, etc.)
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Best post-apocalyptic: The Postman (I know many will disagree with me,
but I found this movie very patriotic and inspiring)
Funny, only an American could say something was patriotic and mean
that as a complement.
Something Americans will take as a great compliment :)
TBerk
2007-07-17 00:20:57 UTC
On Jul 16, 7:11 am, Grendel <***@bellsouth.net> wrote:
<snip>
Post by Grendel
Best 'The Way I'd Really Like It To Be" Movie About the Future: "The
Fifth Element"
Yol Bolsun,
Grendel.
And then there is 'Soylent Green'....

TBerk
(Just wanted to mention these two)
Clell Harmon
Now with retsin!
tomcervo
2007-07-17 04:26:10 UTC
"Idiocracy", only it's like "1984", which Orwell wanted to call "1948"
because it was about his present time. "Idiocracy" is supposed to 500
years in the future but it's really more like 5, and in some ways it's
present day.
imtrv.com
2007-07-17 08:21:44 UTC
Post by tomcervo
"Idiocracy", only it's like "1984", which Orwell wanted to call "1948"
because it was about his present time. "Idiocracy" is supposed to 500
years in the future but it's really more like 5, and in some ways it's
present day.
If we forget about the technology, genetics and computers, I think The
Day After Tomorrow states a good point about what we may have in the
future too, although I found the scenes and movie quite stupid.

Internet Movie Triva,
http://www.imtrv.com
w***@bellsouth.net
2007-07-18 03:14:58 UTC
Post by imtrv.com
Post by tomcervo
"Idiocracy", only it's like "1984", which Orwell wanted to call "1948"
because it was about his present time. "Idiocracy" is supposed to 500
years in the future but it's really more like 5, and in some ways it's
present day.
If we forget about the technology, genetics and computers, I think The
Day After Tomorrow states a good point about what we may have in the
future too, although I found the scenes and movie quite stupid.
Yes, the scenes and the movie were quite stupid. And if you throw out
all the bullshit 'science', you'd have a movie that was 5 minutes
long.

Yol Bolsun,
Grendel.
Richard Schultz
2007-07-17 08:47:45 UTC
In rec.arts.movies.past-films tomcervo <***@aol.com> wrote:

: "Idiocracy", only it's like "1984", which Orwell wanted to call "1948"
: because it was about his present time.

I would like to see a reference for that statement. My understanding was
that he originally intended to call it _The Last Man in Europe_ (a phrase
that appears in the novel), but changed his mind, and got the title by
exchanging the last two digits of the year in which he wrote it.

-----
Richard Schultz ***@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."
l***@my-deja.com
2007-07-16 15:53:21 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Check out THINGS TO COME (1936) which predicted WWII and that it would
last for 30-odd years. The turning point in the film comes in 1970.
When that date flashed onscreen, the audience freaked out because we
were watching it...in 1970!!!!

THE TIME MACHINE (1960) predicts a nuclear war in 1966. I saw it in
1965.
c***@yahoo.com
2007-07-16 18:54:35 UTC
Post by l***@my-deja.com
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Check out THINGS TO COME (1936) which predicted WWII
Depending on what event you go back to, it could be argued that WWII
had already started by 1936 (Japanese "incidents" in China and the
Spanish Civil War).

Brandon
RogerM
2007-07-16 20:04:19 UTC
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Depending on what event you go back to, it could be argued that WWII
had already started by 1936 (Japanese "incidents" in China and the
Spanish Civil War).
Brandon
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
Best Online comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
Matt Clara
2007-07-17 01:02:06 UTC
Post by RogerM
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Depending on what event you go back to, it could be argued that WWII
had already started by 1936 (Japanese "incidents" in China and the
Spanish Civil War).
Brandon
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
Really? As I recall from my history class (and it has been a lot of years)
we were taught it began with the Molotov/Von Ribbentrop pact in 1939. It
was after that that the German's began to invade neighboring nations.

But thanks for the asinine generalizations.

www.mattclara.com
RogerM
2007-07-17 14:08:43 UTC
Post by Matt Clara
Post by RogerM
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Depending on what event you go back to, it could be argued that WWII
had already started by 1936 (Japanese "incidents" in China and the
Spanish Civil War).
Brandon
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
Really? As I recall from my history class (and it has been a lot of years)
we were taught it began with the Molotov/Von Ribbentrop pact in 1939. It
was after that that the German's began to invade neighboring nations.
But thanks for the asinine generalizations.
Ask a thousand Americans when it started. Most will say PEarl Harbour. I
admit they probably won't know the date.
Best Online comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
Audie Murphy's Ghost
But I'll bet they'd spell "Pearl Harbor" correctly.
David E. Powell
2007-07-18 20:50:55 UTC
Post by Matt Clara
Post by RogerM
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Depending on what event you go back to, it could be argued that WWII
had already started by 1936 (Japanese "incidents" in China and the
Spanish Civil War).
Brandon
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
Really? As I recall from my history class (and it has been a lot of years)
we were taught it began with the Molotov/Von Ribbentrop pact in 1939. It
was after that that the German's began to invade neighboring nations.
Czechoslovakia and Austria wnt before that. Did Russia attack Finland
before that? They tried to invade Poland in the 1920s...
--www.mattclara.com
Matt Clara
2007-07-18 21:49:44 UTC
Post by David E. Powell
Post by Matt Clara
Post by RogerM
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Depending on what event you go back to, it could be argued that WWII
had already started by 1936 (Japanese "incidents" in China and the
Spanish Civil War).
Brandon
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
Really? As I recall from my history class (and it has been a lot of years)
we were taught it began with the Molotov/Von Ribbentrop pact in 1939. It
was after that that the German's began to invade neighboring nations.
Czechoslovakia and Austria wnt before that. Did Russia attack Finland
before that? They tried to invade Poland in the 1920s...
It was the pact I refer to that was an agreement between Russia and Germany
to attack Poland and then not each other. You're right, though, a little
Google shows Austria and Czech/Slovakia, too.

www.mattclara.com
Clell Harmon
2007-07-17 01:42:35 UTC
Post by RogerM
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Depending on what event you go back to, it could be argued that WWII
had already started by 1936 (Japanese "incidents" in China and the
Spanish Civil War).
Brandon
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
If you ignore Eagle Squadron, The Flying Tigers, and the various Yanks
in deployed Canadian forces.
David E. Powell
2007-07-18 20:49:57 UTC
Post by Clell Harmon
Post by RogerM
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Depending on what event you go back to, it could be argued that WWII
had already started by 1936 (Japanese "incidents" in China and the
Spanish Civil War).
Brandon
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
If you ignore Eagle Squadron, The Flying Tigers, and the various Yanks
in deployed Canadian forces.
Yeah, some Americans went North to Canada to join the RAF, etc.

Plus US Volunteers who went to the Spanish Civil War. (Admittedly pre
"European WW2" but still.)
Clell Harmon
Which demonstrates the general wrongness of the statement I responded to.
Calvin
2007-07-19 13:54:30 UTC
Post by RogerM
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Depending on what event you go back to, it could be argued that WWII
had already started by 1936 (Japanese "incidents" in China and the
Spanish Civil War).
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
And thanks in large part to the Americans the Axis powers
didn't win. What exactly is your complaint?
RogerM
2007-07-19 16:43:35 UTC
Post by Calvin
Post by RogerM
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
And thanks in large part to the Americans the Axis powers
didn't win. What exactly is your complaint?
Why don't you ask the French, Poles, and Brits who died before the US
decided to join in?
Best Online comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
Calvin
2007-07-20 00:17:36 UTC
Post by RogerM
Post by Calvin
Post by RogerM
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
And thanks in large part to the Americans the Axis powers
didn't win. What exactly is your complaint?
Why don't you ask the French, Poles, and Brits who died before the US
decided to join in?
I'd rather ask the families of the Americans who died. I guess you
think Americans didn't suffer enough.
Juan F. Lara
2007-07-20 00:20:30 UTC
Post by RogerM
Why don't you ask the French, Poles, and Brits who died before the US
decided to join in?
Since when does RogerM berate the U.S. for NOT entering a war quickly
enough?...

- Juan F. Lara
David E. Powell
2007-07-20 02:26:03 UTC
Post by RogerM
Post by Calvin
Post by RogerM
To Americans it didn't start until December 7th.
And thanks in large part to the Americans the Axis powers
didn't win. What exactly is your complaint?
Why don't you ask the French, Poles, and Brits who died before the US
Or the Chinese. Then again Britain and France sold out Czechoslovakia
too. The US wasn't the only country trying to aviad war at any cost.
Britain and France really held out until they were forced in, and
nobody cared much about China in the Pacific, sadly. (Except the US,
who sent the Flying Tigers.)

Ironically, one of the biggest critics of Japan was a German doctor
who had been in Nanking when they Japanese occupied the city - Hitler
basically blackballed the guy for speaking against Japan, Germany's
ally at the time.
Post by RogerM
Best Online comic:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
BUZZKILL
2007-07-20 08:02:12 UTC
Idiocracy.

This post brought to you by Carl's Jr. Carl's Jr. Fuck you, I'm eating!
RichA
2007-07-16 16:29:58 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
The best movie is without doubt, "Rollerball." The original one.
-Powerful corporations running the planet.
-Computers dictating human existence.
-Violent sports and amusements designed to divert attention from a
continued decrease in personal freedom.
the Bede
no love for Soylent Green?
a***@yahoo.com
2007-07-16 19:40:04 UTC
Post by the Bede
Post by RichA
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
The best movie is without doubt, "Rollerball." The original one.
-Powerful corporations running the planet.
-Computers dictating human existence.
-Violent sports and amusements designed to divert attention from a
continued decrease in personal freedom.
no love for Soylent Green?
Soylent Green predicts that in the future, NY City will have 40
million people wearing bad 70's clothes.
the Bede
so it was only off by 27 million.
Michael
2007-07-16 20:17:38 UTC
Post by the Bede
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by the Bede
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by the Bede
Post by RichA
Post by The Blue Perkie
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
The best movie is without doubt, "Rollerball." The original one.
-Powerful corporations running the planet.
-Computers dictating human existence.
-Violent sports and amusements designed to divert attention from a
continued decrease in personal freedom.
no love for Soylent Green?
Soylent Green predicts that in the future, NY City will have 40
million people wearing bad 70's clothes.
so it was only off by 27 million.
I still think the HD Television ad with BttF's Doc is hilarious. I keep
wanting to tell him that Marty won't be able to get it for about 20 years.

:)

Some other candidates:

Escape From New York predicted Manhattan would be turned into a prison
by 1999.

Escape From LA predicted a religious zealot President-for-life and LA
being seperated from the rest of the US by a major Eathquake, though I
think it's set in 2014 or so.

Wasn't The Omega Man set in the future (well, the past now). Dunno when
"I Am Legend" (the remake) is set.

I, Robot.

Has anyone said "Planet of the Apes" and "Beneath the Planet of the
Apes" yet? Even the Marky Mark remake of PotA is set in the future.

Ultraviolet had a villain that wore a big plug in his nose.

Logan's Run

Michael
Marv Soloff
2007-07-16 16:58:45 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Are we forgetting Harlan Ellison's "A Boy and His Dog" (1975) ?

Marv
Martin Koolhoven
2007-07-16 17:04:52 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
YOU watched it. THEY made money.

Now, how's stupid?

MK
The Blue Perkie
2007-07-16 18:22:46 UTC
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
YOU watched it. THEY made money.
Now, how's stupid?
MK
I said it was one of my favorite movies. They just had no idea how
the year 1999 was going to be, I know this for a fact because I lived
through 1999.
b***@yahoo.com
2007-07-16 18:33:51 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
YOU watched it. THEY made money.
Now, how's stupid?
MK
I said it was one of my favorite movies. They just had no idea how
the year 1999 was going to be, I know this for a fact because I lived
through 1999.
yep, we're all still waiting patiently for our flying cars.

Thank god we're not wearing spandex bodysuits though
The Blue Perkie
2007-07-16 18:53:11 UTC
Post by b***@yahoo.com
Post by The Blue Perkie
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
YOU watched it. THEY made money.
Now, how's stupid?
MK
I said it was one of my favorite movies. They just had no idea how
the year 1999 was going to be, I know this for a fact because I lived
through 1999.
yep, we're all still waiting patiently for our flying cars.
Thank god we're not wearing spandex bodysuits though
No flying cars in Class of 1999, you're thinking of Back To The Future
Part 2.
Matt Frisch
2007-07-16 20:34:13 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
Post by b***@yahoo.com
Post by The Blue Perkie
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
YOU watched it. THEY made money.
Now, how's stupid?
MK
I said it was one of my favorite movies. They just had no idea how
the year 1999 was going to be, I know this for a fact because I lived
through 1999.
yep, we're all still waiting patiently for our flying cars.
Thank god we're not wearing spandex bodysuits though
No flying cars in Class of 1999, you're thinking of Back To The Future
Part 2.
Events in Back To The Future 2 haven't happened yet. The Doc went about 30
years ahead of 1985, so that leaves us 8 years to develop flying cars.
Also, in 5 years the Cubs will win the world series for the first of a
three-peat.
David E. Powell
2007-07-16 19:56:24 UTC
Post by b***@yahoo.com
Post by The Blue Perkie
Post by Martin Koolhoven
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
YOU watched it. THEY made money.
Now, how's stupid?
MK
I said it was one of my favorite movies. They just had no idea how
the year 1999 was going to be, I know this for a fact because I lived
through 1999.
yep, we're all still waiting patiently for our flying cars.
Thank god we're not wearing spandex bodysuits though
I agree about the cars. Supposedly some Moller guy has been trying to
build them for something like 20 years now. The bodysuits as a fashion
would depend on who wore them, in the futuristic stuff it is always
people like Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, Nana Visitor and Jolene
Blalock walking around in them. In our world, they'd end up on all the
300 pounders (male and female) like "Hip huggers*" and every other
"Hawt" pop culture item, while people who look normal in anything
continue to just, well, look normal-good in anything.

*There should be a law against people wearing those who have single -
never mind double - rolls hanging over each side. Besides, they break
up the curve of the hips.

As for best movie about the future, it is hard to pin one down, I'll
toss out one I haven't seen mentioned in the thread yet:

Metropolis - 1926 (Set in 2026, it is intersting to watch now.)
trippy
2007-07-16 19:24:40 UTC
In article <***@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, The
Blue Perkie took the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said
"Oh Wow"...
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Threads.
--
trippy
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

NP: "Goldeneye" -- Tina Turner

"What did I tell the kid. It's about how hard you can get hit,
and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take,
and keep moving forward. Get up."

-- Sylvester Stallone "Rocky Balboa"
s***@altavista.com
2007-07-16 20:18:15 UTC
People who haven't seen it, I presume.
Seerialmom
2007-07-16 20:23:20 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
A very recent movie is probably closer to the truth about the future:
Idiocracy.
m***@earthlink.net
2007-07-19 02:56:18 UTC
Post by Seerialmom
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
Idiocracy.
I just rented that this weekend. Satire aside, the only way Judge's
future would happen is if the rest of the world devolved into idiocy
at the same rate as the USA. Long before Fuddruckers became
Buttfuckers, the enemies of the US would be picking over its bones.
jessica_smith_nyc
2007-07-17 02:05:56 UTC
How about the recent movie "Children of Men"?

-------
http://www.moviesitearchive.com
LOL stupid film makers.
james_powers
2007-07-17 02:42:57 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
THX-1138
Sleeper
Idiocracy
Americathon
David E. Powell
2007-07-20 21:10:23 UTC
Post by james_powers
Post by The Blue Perkie
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
THX-1138
Sleeper
Idiocracy
Americathon
Americathon - Was that with John Ritter? Scathing look at the policy
of "National Debt" and the 1970s bad economy.

Matt Clara

www.mattclara.com
Mr.Bolshoyhuy
2007-07-18 18:26:18 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
people, whats the matter with you?!
The best movie about the future is 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Man vs. Machine as the ultimate conflict.
The end of the movie is man's beginning.
Mark Debo
2007-07-19 12:19:51 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future,
I assume you meant BTTF 2 ??

I loved it. Sort of a soft, cartoon parody of what things could evolve into,
both the good and the bad.
Michael
2007-07-19 12:52:12 UTC
Post by Mark Debo
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future,
I assume you meant BTTF 2 ??
I loved it. Sort of a soft, cartoon parody of what things could evolve into,
both the good and the bad.
Dunno if it counts but, IIRC, when "Time After Time" (the movie, not the
Cyndi Lauper song) was released the "present" was set a few months or
weeks into the future.

FWIW, I don't remember a short spurt of hookers being killed in San
Francisco that year. Or an H.G. (n. the wrestler from HUSTLE) Wells
exhibit either.

Michael
Fahr-vuh the next generation
2007-07-19 13:11:18 UTC
Enough, already. THREAD CLOSED.
Killfile Victim #847238
2007-07-18 23:01:04 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
The Running Man. Had AH-NULD and Jesse 'The Body' Ventura. What's
not to like?
Michael
2007-07-19 04:56:22 UTC
Post by Killfile Victim #847238
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
The Running Man. Had AH-NULD and Jesse 'The Body' Ventura. What's
not to like?
And a magnificent performance by Richard Dawson!

Michael
David E. Powell
2007-07-19 20:27:29 UTC
Post by The Blue Perkie
A lot of people would say Back To The Future, but for me it's the
movie Class Of 1999. They really thought that the year 1999 was going
to be like that.
LOL stupid film makers.
The Running Man. Had AH-NULD and Jesse 'The Body' Ventura. What's
not to like?
Also predicted "Reality TV" (And the idea of people using worked
"Reality TV" to try to send a socially conformist message) way before
MTV and later the Networks glommed onto those ideas.
El Klauso
2007-07-20 03:02:45 UTC
Things to Come.