(poll) Best/Worst "Weird" Al Yankovic song
CptainDan
2004-02-21 00:04:10 UTC
Best: "Another One Rides the Bus." That was when it was still all about the
music. Just Weird Al himself and his sidekick Bermuda Schwartz cutting loose
with, essentially, an acoustic track. (Essentially.)

Worst: "Living with a Hernia." That tune was a hell of a shark-jump.
Zodiac69 864
2004-02-21 00:11:31 UTC
Best: "Weenie in a Bottle." Just the sheer absurdity of it cracks me up.
Worst: "Dare to be Stupid." Just didn't do it for me.

Zodiac69
the future of RSPW
864's most promising blue chipper
Froggy in the [mWo]
2004-02-21 06:24:59 UTC
Post by Zodiac69 864
Best: "Weenie in a Bottle." Just the sheer absurdity of it cracks me up.
Dude, that's not even Weird Al. A chick sings it.
Post by Zodiac69 864
Worst: "Dare to be Stupid." Just didn't do it for me.
Philistine.

-Froggy
Retro Junkie
2004-02-21 00:30:13 UTC
Best : Constipated

Worst : The night santa went crazy

Retro.

I should really think of a sig.
AoGLP
2004-02-21 01:40:05 UTC
BEST: 'Ballad of Jed Clampett' (from 'UHF'; "Beverly Hillbillies
meete 'Money For Nothing'. The computerized Jed Clampett in th
'video' makes the whole thing.)

Can't name a 'worst' because I only know a couple of them
TripleW864
2004-02-21 02:25:57 UTC
Post by Retro Junkie
Best : Constipated
If you're talking about the parody of Avril Lavigne, it's actually
called "A Complicated Song"
Post by Retro Junkie
Worst : The night santa went crazy
Retro.
I should really think of a sig.
And being admittedly a "Weird Al" mark, I'll toss out my picks...

Best: The Saga Begins (Running With Scissors), Couch Potato (Poodle
Hat), Trigger Happy (Off The Deep End), Yoda, I Want A New Duck, Dare
To Be Stupid (all 3 off of Dare To Be Stupid), and Gump (Bad Hair Day).

Worst: Wanna B Ur Lovr (Poodle Hat) & Alimony (Even Worse)

Al can always crank out a decent to good parody whenever, but his
originals have started to suffer. Wanna B Ur Lovr is just the standout
track from his latest album, and Alimony is easily forgotten amongst
good to great tracks back when making fun of Michael Jackson didn't
include jokes about young boys.

Of course, the fact he was in the movie "Spy Hard" (as well as singing
the opening theme to it), with Hulk Hogan, that makes this poll
partially on topic...
--
In news totally unrelated to anything, I'm convinced that turtles can move
really fast but that they just don't want to. I think they're like, "F&ck
- Shane "Hurricane" Helms
Retro Junkie
- Shane "Hurricane" Helms
Scott Henrichs
2004-02-21 03:20:46 UTC
Obviously, that is one of the many parody songs that are not done by
Weird Al that people for some reason think is. Much like other crappy
parodies that aren't done by him like "wrong foot amputated".
- Shane "Hurricane" Helms
Retro Junkie
- Shane "Hurricane" Helms
Froggy in the [mWo]
2004-02-21 06:27:06 UTC
Post by Retro Junkie
I changed my mind, Who let the Cows out is the worst.
Right, because it's not Weird Al.

-Froggy
There's more than one person out there who does song parodies.
Metlhd3138
2004-02-21 05:42:49 UTC
Well,,from the albums i have:

Dare to be stupid
Best: Slime creatures from outer space
Worst: I want a new duck

Off the deep end
Best: Smells like nirvana/trigger happy
Worst:The White Stuff

Bad Hair Day
Best: Amish Paradise/the night santa went crazy
Worst: Since youve been gone

Running with scissors
Best: The Saga Begins/All about the pentiums
Worst: Your horospcope for today/my babys in love with eddie vedder

Poodle Hat
Best: A complicated song/Ode to a superhero
Worst: Wanna b Ur lover
Freezer
2004-02-21 09:08:58 UTC
If I don't respond to this Metlhd3138 post, the terrorists win.
Post by Metlhd3138
Off the deep end
Best: Smells like nirvana/trigger happy
Worst:The White Stuff
Agreed.
Post by Metlhd3138
Bad Hair Day
Best: Amish Paradise/the night santa went crazy
Worst: *Since youve been gone*
BLASPHEMY! (Hair Day's probably my favorite Weird Al album. If I had
to pick a worst from it, I'd go with "Calling In Sick.")
Post by Metlhd3138
Running with scissors
Best: The Saga Begins/All about the pentiums
Worst: *Your horospcope for today*/my babys in love with eddie vedder
You are wrong and an idiot (but in a good way) for no other reason than
the kick-ass "Love Hina" AMV "Horoscope" spawned.

But spot-on about "Eddie Vedder"

But overall:

Best: "Albequerque" (from "Running With Scissors")
Worst: "Waffle King" (I forget which album... "In 3-D" or "Dare To Be
Stupid" I think)
--
(Really overdue for checking out "Poodle Hat...")

My name is:
____ _
/ ___| | | http://www.geocities.com/
| |__ _ __ ___ ___ ____ ___ _ __ | | mysterysciencefreezer
| __|| '__/ _ \/ _ \/_ // _ \| '__|| | (My MSTings)
|_| |_| \___|\___||___|\___||_| (_) (Rasslin' type subjects)

And my anti-drug is porn.
TripleW864
2004-02-21 21:36:15 UTC
Post by Metlhd3138
Off the deep end
Best: Smells like nirvana/trigger happy
Worst:The White Stuff
Agreed.
I'd probably say that the only bad song on that whole album is "When I
Was Your Age"
Post by Freezer
Post by Metlhd3138
Bad Hair Day
Best: Amish Paradise/the night santa went crazy
Worst: *Since youve been gone*
BLASPHEMY! (Hair Day's probably my favorite Weird Al album. If I had
to pick a worst from it, I'd go with "Calling In Sick.")
I agree. Great overall album. Nice way to introduce someone to his
genius...
Post by Freezer
Post by Metlhd3138
Running with scissors
Best: The Saga Begins/All about the pentiums
Worst: *Your horospcope for today*/my babys in love with eddie vedder
You are wrong and an idiot (but in a good way) for no other reason than
the kick-ass "Love Hina" AMV "Horoscope" spawned.
The Evangelion one was pretty good as well.
Post by Freezer
But spot-on about "Eddie Vedder"
I'll agree to disagree, since I think the "worst" song on that album
was Grapefruit Diet. Almost every song was great, but that one just
threw me off a little.
Post by Freezer
Best: "Albequerque" (from "Running With Scissors")
I HATE SAUERKRAUT!

And I disagree...
Post by Freezer
Worst: "Waffle King" (I forget which album... "In 3-D" or "Dare To Be
Stupid" I think)
Again, I disagree, and it was Alapalooza...
- Shane "Hurricane" Helms
Metlhd3138
2004-02-21 23:26:05 UTC
And now, as for best/worst video:

Best: Jurassic Park (just for the wwf logo)
Worst: Christmas at Ground Zero (stock footage? what a cop out)
Chad Bryant
2004-02-22 09:11:32 UTC
Post by TripleW864
Post by Freezer
Post by Metlhd3138
Off the deep end
Best: Smells like nirvana/trigger happy
Worst:The White Stuff
Agreed.
I'd probably say that the only bad song on that whole album is "When I
Was Your Age"
LOL...that song rules. I think the only songs on OTDE that don't really
work are "The Plumbing Song" (the Milli Vanilli parody) and "The White
Stuff", because they sounded dated by 1992 - it seemed strange that Al
parodied two flash-in-the-pan pop acts and the act that helped knock that
sort of mindless crap off the charts on the same LP.
--
Chad Bryant
http://www.chadbryant.net/
http://www.chadbryant.cjb.net/
Freezer
2004-02-22 09:27:26 UTC
If I don't respond to this Chad Bryant post, the terrorists win.
Post by Chad Bryant
Post by TripleW864
Post by Freezer
Post by Metlhd3138
Off the deep end
Best: Smells like nirvana/trigger happy
Worst:The White Stuff
Agreed.
I'd probably say that the only bad song on that whole album is "When I
Was Your Age"
LOL...that song rules.
I'll tell ya one thing...
I never was such a disrespectful punk.
Back in my time, we had a thing called "discipline."
--
(Dad would whoop us every night, 'till a quarter after 12)

My name is:
____ _
/ ___| | | http://www.geocities.com/
| |__ _ __ ___ ___ ____ ___ _ __ | | mysterysciencefreezer
| __|| '__/ _ \/ _ \/_ // _ \| '__|| | (My MSTings)
|_| |_| \___|\___||___|\___||_| (_) (Rasslin' type subjects)

And my anti-drug is porn.
Metlhd3138
2004-02-21 23:24:55 UTC
Post by Freezer
Post by Metlhd3138
Worst: *Your horospcope for today*/my babys in love with eddie vedder
You are wrong and an idiot (but in a good way) for no other reason than
the kick-ass "Love Hina" AMV "Horoscope" spawned.
The ONLY good way something "love hina"-related can be good is if it deals with
that samurai chick (makoto?)
TripleW864
2004-02-22 02:59:31 UTC
Post by Metlhd3138
Post by Freezer
Post by Metlhd3138
Worst: *Your horospcope for today*/my babys in love with eddie vedder
You are wrong and an idiot (but in a good way) for no other reason than
the kick-ass "Love Hina" AMV "Horoscope" spawned.
The ONLY good way something "love hina"-related can be good is if it deals
with that samurai chick (makoto?)
Her name is Aoyama Mokoto, and yes, it deals with her...
- Shane "Hurricane" Helms
Froggy in the [mWo]
2004-02-21 06:28:37 UTC
Post by Retro Junkie
[...]
You, sir, are a hero with excellent taste.

-Froggy
TripleW864
2004-02-21 21:39:25 UTC
Post by Froggy in the [mWo]
Post by Retro Junkie
[...]
Thank you, Froggy. It's nice to have someone appreciate me. ;)

I will say that his only unreleased song that I know of, "It's Still
Billy Joel To Me" is good for the era he recorded it in, but it hasn't
aged well.
- Shane "Hurricane" Helms
Squad_3670
2004-02-21 00:32:02 UTC
Best: Nature Trail To Hell, or Amish Paradise (mainly for the video)
Worst: Smells Like Nirvana (good music but just didn't do it for me)
Freezer
2004-02-21 09:09:45 UTC
If I don't respond to this Squad_3670 post, the terrorists win.
Post by Squad_3670
Best: Nature Trail To Hell
NATURE TRAIL TO HELL! *IN 3-D!!!*
--
My name is:
____ _
| |__ _ __ ___ ___ ____ ___ _ __ | | mysterysciencefreezer
| __|| '__/ _ \/ _ \/_ // _ \| '__|| | (My MSTings)
|_| |_| \___|\___||___|\___||_| (_) (Rasslin' type subjects)

And my anti-drug is porn.
Scott Henrichs
2004-02-21 01:53:32 UTC
Best: (tie) Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota and Yoda
Worst: Mr. Frump In the Iron Lung (seriously, though, I dunno, they all
rule)

-Scott (who's seen him in concert about 8 times)
Aaron Pynn
2004-02-21 02:53:05 UTC
Best: The Good Old Days, She drives like crazy..

Worse: Jurrasic Park
Ben
2004-02-21 06:20:23 UTC
Post by CptainDan
Best: "Another One Rides the Bus." That was when it was still all about the
music. Just Weird Al himself and his sidekick Bermuda Schwartz
cutting loose with, essentially, an acoustic track. (Essentially.)
Worst: "Living with a Hernia." That tune was a hell of a
shark-jump.
Jurassic Park(I like JP a lot). Other than that, I would probably have
to say "All About The Pentiums." That video is great.
"The world is waiting, I must leave you now."
Froggy in the [mWo]
2004-02-21 06:52:03 UTC
Post by CptainDan
Best: "Another One Rides the Bus." That was when it was still all about the
music. Just Weird Al himself and his sidekick Bermuda Schwartz cutting loose
with, essentially, an acoustic track. (Essentially.)
Worst: "Living with a Hernia." That tune was a hell of a shark-jump.
I rather like "Hernia", as it's one of his better parodies of that era. It's
tough to single out a best and worst, so I'll throw out a handful of
standouts.

BEST:

- Parodies:
Another One Rides the Bus (Bites the dust)
The Brady Bunch (Safety Dance)
I Lost on Jeopardy (Jeopardy)
(This Song's Just) Six Words Long (Got my Mind Set on You)
Jurassic Park (Macarthur Park)
Amish Paradise (Gangsta's Paradise)
Cavity Search (Hold Me, thrill Me, Kiss me, Kill Me)
Gump (Lump)
The Saga Begins (American Pie)
Pretty Fly For A Rabbi (White Guy)
All About the Pentiums (Benjamins)
Couch Potato (Lose yourself)
Headline News (Mmm mmm mmm mmm)

- Style Parodies:
Mr. Popeil (B-52s)
Dare to be Stupid (devo)
Dog Eat Dog (Talking Heads)
Velvet Elvis (Police)
Everything You Know Is Wrong (they Might Be giants)
Callin' In Sick (Nirvana)
Germs (NIN)
Bob (Dylan)
Genius in france (Zappa)

- Originals:
One More Minute
Christmas At Ground Zero
Melanie
The Biggest Ball Of Twine In Minnesota
Albuquerque

- Polkas
(I love 'em all, but the standouts are:)
The Hot Rocks Polka
Bohemian Polka
Alternative Polka
Polka Power!

WORST:
- Parodies:
Girls Just Want To Have Lunch (Fun) - There was a bad string of parodies for
about 4 straight albums.
Addicted To Spuds (Love)
Toothless People (Ruthless People) Who actually remembers the original?
Lasagna (La Bamba)
Isle Thing (Wild thing)
The Plumbing Song (Baby don't forget my number/blame it on the rain)
The White Stuff (The Right Stuff)
Syndicated, Inc (Frustrated Inc) Again, BAD choice of a song to parody.

- Style Parodies
Young, Dumb, and Ugly (AC/DC)
Wanna B Ur Lovr (ALLEGEDLY Beck)

- Originals
Buckingham Blues
I Was Only Kidding
Truck Drivin' Song

Yeah, I spent WAY too much time on this.
Chad Bryant
2004-02-21 07:54:50 UTC
Post by Froggy in the [mWo]
Girls Just Want To Have Lunch (Fun)
Weird Al was asked once why this song didn't make his "Food Album" comp -
basically, he was forced by CBS (who was distributing his records at the
time) to write and record a Cyndi Lauper parody, so he made it as lame as
possible.
--
Chad Bryant
http://www.chadbryant.net/
http://www.tardsmack.com/
Darth Chaos
2004-02-21 08:47:15 UTC
Post by Froggy in the [mWo]
The Hot Rocks Polka
Bohemian Polka
I love these two. The Rolling Stones rule, and I'm sure Freddie Mercury's
spirit got a chuckle out of the Bohemian Polka.

_____
"how wuz hat putato plaed? did bil kulin tos a putato at thu kuntestintz? tat
wuld ba funi." - Grant "Tardtram" Bartram

"God bless thongs." - Jim Ross
Freezer
2004-02-21 09:12:28 UTC
If I don't respond to this Froggy in the [mWo] post, the terrorists win.
Post by Froggy in the [mWo]
Isle Thing (Wild thing)
God, I'd forgotten about that toilet log! Change my vote to the above!
--
My name is:
____ _
| |__ _ __ ___ ___ ____ ___ _ __ | | mysterysciencefreezer
| __|| '__/ _ \/ _ \/_ // _ \| '__|| | (My MSTings)
|_| |_| \___|\___||___|\___||_| (_) (Rasslin' type subjects)

And my anti-drug is porn.
Tsar Andy Atkinson
2004-02-21 15:32:12 UTC
Onion Bursts are CptainDan!
Post by CptainDan
Best: "Another One Rides the Bus." That was when it was still all about the
music. Just Weird Al himself and his sidekick Bermuda Schwartz
cutting loose with, essentially, an acoustic track. (Essentially.)
Worst: "Living with a Hernia." That tune was a hell of a
shark-jump.
I don't believe I saw 'Christmas At Ground Zero' in any reply. That one
rules.

'Pretty Fly For A Rabbi' is another one that I will put on repeat.

I concede all worst options to the other replies. Even if I may like a
couple of them.
--
Tsar Andy Atkinson

Card-carrying member of the B.O.B.