[ot] Pink Floyd reunion at Live 8
Darth Chaos
2005-06-15 18:03:55 UTC
Did anybody hear about this? Pink Floyd...including Roger Waters.
Patient Zero
2005-06-15 19:42:43 UTC
Demolition heard about it a few days ago...

[Rock] Pink Floyd takes the stage one more time...
Posted By Kenny Hammond on 06.12.2005

Secretly, a generation of hippies are looking for LSD again...
Arguably the most progressive band ever is hitting the stage one more
time. According to publicists, Pink Floyd will be playing the Live 8 concert
in London, marking the first time Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick
Mason and keyboard player Richard Wright perform with bassist Roger Waters
since 1981.

A lengthy and well documented dispute between Waters and the remaining
band members caused a rift between the band in the early 1980s. Waters then
sued for the rights to the name Pink Floyd.

Still, according to Gilmour: "Any squabbles Roger and the band have
had in the past are so petty in this context, and if reforming for this
concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile."

Pink Floyd joins an already star-studded lineup including Coldplay,
Elton John and Paul McCartney.

At this moment there have been no discussions of a Pink Floyd tour or
any other dates besides Live 8.
Darth Chaos
2005-06-15 20:24:32 UTC
Was the last Floyd "Wall" concert in 1981? By that time Wright had been
fired/demoted from the band (reportedly for a cocaine problem) but
played the "Wall" tour as a salaried performer...basically an employee
of Pink Floyd. In fact, he was the only one of the Floyd to actually
make any money from the tour (the tour was very expensive, and Waters,
Gilmour, and Mason all lost a shitload of money from the expenses of
the tour). If Wright hadn't been fired/demoted, he would've lost money
on that tour as well.

BTW, I just checked. The final Wall concert by Pink Floyd was at Earls
Court on June 17th, 1981.
Krusty
2005-06-15 20:36:04 UTC
Post by Darth Chaos
Was the last Floyd "Wall" concert in 1981? By that time Wright had been
fired/demoted from the band (reportedly for a cocaine problem) but
played the "Wall" tour as a salaried performer...basically an employee
of Pink Floyd. In fact, he was the only one of the Floyd to actually
make any money from the tour (the tour was very expensive, and Waters,
Gilmour, and Mason all lost a shitload of money from the expenses of
the tour). If Wright hadn't been fired/demoted, he would've lost money
on that tour as well.
BTW, I just checked. The final Wall concert by Pink Floyd was at Earls
Court on June 17th, 1981.
Hopefully everyone will forget the horrible tours they put on since. The
only show I saw that was even worth a shit was the Radio KAOS tour. The rest
was tripe. Especially that horribly contrived "Learning to Fly" tour. That
was the worst, it was like someone pitched the band the idea that "..and you
can do all sorts of "Pink Floyd-y" things and make things fly around, and
it'll be trippy, and the kids will eat it up...I know...make a bed
fly!...it's gold, Jerry!"
the Bede
2005-06-15 22:01:26 UTC
Post by Krusty
Post by Darth Chaos
Was the last Floyd "Wall" concert in 1981? By that time Wright had been
fired/demoted from the band (reportedly for a cocaine problem) but
played the "Wall" tour as a salaried performer...basically an employee
of Pink Floyd. In fact, he was the only one of the Floyd to actually
make any money from the tour (the tour was very expensive, and Waters,
Gilmour, and Mason all lost a shitload of money from the expenses of
the tour). If Wright hadn't been fired/demoted, he would've lost money
on that tour as well.
BTW, I just checked. The final Wall concert by Pink Floyd was at Earls
Court on June 17th, 1981.
nice Tube Stop. never made it inside the theatre, tho.
Post by Krusty
Hopefully everyone will forget the horrible tours they put on since. The
only show I saw that was even worth a shit was the Radio KAOS tour.
"Radio Waves" = tremend blue-eyed-R&B single.
Post by Krusty
The rest
was tripe. Especially that horribly contrived "Learning to Fly" tour. That
was the worst, it was like someone pitched the band the idea that "..and you
can do all sorts of "Pink Floyd-y" things and make things fly around, and
it'll be trippy, and the kids will eat it up...I know...make a bed
fly!...it's gold, Jerry!"
what was that quote from Waters? something like "they're my songs, but
David's flying pig"?
Krusty
2005-06-16 01:22:59 UTC
Post by the Bede
what was that quote from Waters? something like "they're my songs, but
David's flying pig"?
I always marked for Peter Frampton getting upset because Homer unwittingly
unleashed his Pig...that he bought at Pink Floyd's garage sale.
--
Krusty
RSP-W Poster of the Year, 2004
Get a fucking opinion. Post it, or don't waste our time.
Darth Chaos
2005-06-16 02:42:09 UTC
If I had to rate Floyd solos, I would rate them :

1. Amused To Death (Waters)
2. Radio KAOS (Waters)
3. David Gilmour (Gilmour, duh!)
4. Wouldn't You Miss Me (Best of Syd Barrett)
5. The Madcap Laughs (Barrett)
6. Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking (Waters)

Never have listened to these :

About Face (Gilmour)
Any of the Rick Wright ones
Any of the Nick Mason ones
Darth Chaos
2005-06-16 02:43:39 UTC
Oh, wasn't there a famous story about Waters suing Floyd for using the
pig, so in order to settle the lawsuit, Floyd put a nutsac on the pig?
Poot Rootbeer
2005-06-18 03:30:00 UTC
Post by Darth Chaos
Oh, wasn't there a famous story about Waters suing Floyd for using
the pig, so in order to settle the lawsuit, Floyd put a nutsac on
the pig?
You can settle lawsuits just by putting nutsacs on stuff? Good to
know.

-Poot
Krusty
2005-06-18 04:19:46 UTC
Post by Poot Rootbeer
Post by Darth Chaos
Oh, wasn't there a famous story about Waters suing Floyd for using
the pig, so in order to settle the lawsuit, Floyd put a nutsac on
the pig?
You can settle lawsuits just by putting nutsacs on stuff? Good to
know.
"Well, tell him I'm willing to put this all behind me if he can put a nutsac
on it."

Araxen
2005-06-15 21:31:31 UTC
Welcome to last week.
Double T the Legally Blind Referee
2005-06-16 02:37:55 UTC
Post by Darth Chaos
Did anybody hear about this? Pink Floyd...including Roger Waters.
meh

i'm more excited about the spice girls reunion at live 8

SHUT UP CRACKER